fredag 30. september 2011

Kiel cruise experiences

From Wednesday to Friday this week, Sharon and I enjoyed a cruise with Color Magic to Kiel in Germany and back to Oslo. Despite the late September trip, the temperature was well above normal. Probably about 25 degrees Celsius while spending 4 hours in Kiel Thursday.

We made a similar trip last year in August. After our second experience, there are a few things that I would like to share with you.

In Norway, we pay by debit or credit card anywhere. Not only in restaurants, hotels and in malls. But also when grabbing some fast food and similar things. It is easy to forget that when we go abroad. Because in Germany it is different. When we wanted to get some fast food, I had to run through the streets to find an ATM to get cash so that I could be able to pay. Standing in line, I kind of suspected it. Therefore, I also asked before I ordered. But I did not think about it before I was in the line. My mind was in Norway what that matter concerns. Quite interesting that a developed country like Germany is still in the “stone age”. Even more interesting when there are voices in Norway wanting to ban use of cash! Well, at least to make it more expensive to use cash instead of card.

When growing up, one of the things Germany was known for, was that they had cheap electronics. But that belongs to the past. We were looking at system cameras, but we very soon realized that the prices in Germany are on the same level as here in Norway. Shoes, though, are still very much cheaper in Germany than in Norway.

It was an interesting experience also on this trip to observe, both in the ship and in Kiel, that quite a number of people were looking at us. It is not like that here in Norway. Not just kids were looking, but also adults. And especially older people. Why were they looking? Well, we were not dressed in an outrageous way, so it is very likely that they were looking because Sharon is African and I am white.

Both evenings in the ship, both this time and last time, we attended the show. The Magic Show. Professional artists are hired to entertain. Very good that they have two different shows, so that we do not get a repetition on our way back. Four women and four men were performing a 45 minutes show every evening. A few of them could actually sing, especially on some of the songs. But it is sad to say that they are not professionally coordinated when dancing and performing. Still, it is good entertainment as they guide us through songs and melodies from several decades.

When the present ships between Oslo and Kiel were put into traffic, they were introduced almost like dream ships. And yes, they look great inside. Even if the ship is quite big, the inside shopping street is very short. It is also expensive. Well, it might be cheaper than here in Norway, but I doubt that there are so many people who take this ship to buy profiled brands a bit less expensive. I would prefer less classy products and instead more products that normal people would like to buy. We did not spend money for other things than food on board.

It was a pleasure to leave the ship in Kiel. Not only because it was sunny and warm. Also because they have an infrastructure to handle 2,000 people who want to leave the ship without being stuck and delayed. Unfortunately, the arrival in Oslo is different. It takes forever to get out. 40 minutes after the doors were opened, we had finally reached solid ground under our feet, but still people were on their way out. Hopefully, the remaining people were not Germans who were supposed to be back in the ship before departure at 2pm. It has to take much time when the infrastructure is not made to handle so many people.

Our intention was to get away and relax. Mission accomplished. Nice food and massaging jacuzzi  -  and nice time for ourselves.  

Ingen kommentarer:

Legg inn en kommentar