mandag 14. mars 2011

Important knowledge in this time

A few days ago, the major 9.0 magnitude earthquake hit Japan, followed by a distroying tsunami. The media gives us a lot of information about what has happened and how the development is. The main question now is connected to the nuclear plants  -  will there be a meltdown or not. Other questions are connected to the number of missing people and to how many people who have been evacuated. The figures change between the different news channels and newspapers. Japan suffer from an information crisis. It is difficult to get reliable facts.

In the world society of 2011, knowledge is important. People want to know. Even within faith, there is a need for knowledge. In my earlier years, I was quite often struggling with thoughts, not really knowing whether or not I was saved. For example, when I had done something wrong, or when I had not been that good that I should have been, or when I had not been doing what the Christian religion was teaching people to do. I was not a frequent church goer back then; in fact, in my younger years, I very seldom was in church. And when I went to church, I did not feel worthy to sit elsewhere than far back in the church.

I have never been thinking that I was good enough in myself. I was very much aware of the fact that I did not qualify. So, to avoid having those thoughts more than necessary, I kept a distance. I was believing in God, I was believing in Jesus Christ; but in a way I thought that it was not enough. Besides, I thought it was very difficult to understand the Bible. So, to avoid being more confused than necessary, I also stayed very much away from reading the Bible.

Maybe you struggle with similar thoughts in your life. Or maybe you know somebody who does. In that case, here I will quote a scripture from the Bible; it is John's 1st letter, chapter 5, verses 11-13:

And this is the testimony: God gave us eternal life, and this life is in His Son. He who possesses the Son has that life; he who does not possess the Son of God does not have that life. I write to you who believe in the name of  the Son of God, so that you may know that you have life, yes, eternal life.

This was written for you and me and for everyone who believes in Jesus Christ, so that we may know that we have eternal life. Not so that we may hope or not be sure or doubt. No, so that we may know. Do you believe in Jesus Christ; that God raised Him from the dead? In that case, you have Jesus Christ  -  and you possess the Son. God has given you the right to be His child. And you are His child. God let John write this so that you could read and know that you are saved.

The knowledge about this set me free from confusion and insecurity. It also set me free from felt condemnation from some people around. Because I got knowledge that it has nothing to do with me being good enough  -  but it has to do with Jesus Christ being good enough. And He is good enough and therefore I know that I am saved.

Ingen kommentarer:

Legg inn en kommentar