Are you good at handling commendations, praises and positive statements from others? Is it easier to handle it when you feel that you to some extend deserve it due to your good work and achievements? What about when you feel that you do not deserve it?
On 22nd July last year, several people here in Norway were risking their lives when trying to rescue youths that were at Utøya, trying to escape the bullets from the terrorist. Afterwards, they have been referred to as heroes, while they themselves have responded that they did not even think that way and that anyone would have done the same.
Unless we feel that we earn it and deserve it, most people seem to be embarrassed when receiving commendations and admirations. Later this summer, the Olympics will be held in London. I am sure that all of the athletes would feel extremely uncomfortable if they did not reach the final, but still were celebrated and admired like Olympic winners.
At school, you are rewarded according to your work and exams. If you achieve and do good, you will get good grades. At work, you get promotion or salary raise based on your work. If you produce results, you can deserve it. If you do not produce results, you will remain in your position with the same level of salary - or you might even lose your job.
We live in a competitive society. We are brought up to learn that you need to work hard to get results. Religious life is also part of the competitive society. There are commandments and rules to follow in the religious life. If you do good, you get good. If you do bad, you get bad.
The word gospel that is used in the Bible, means good news that is almost too good to be true. Having to follow commandments and rules does sound like being almost too good to be true to me. On the contrary, having to follow commandments and rules is more or less the same as the other parts of our society. How many people feel really motivated to involve themselves in religious activities when it means an exhausting life consisting of requirements in commandments and rules?
The New Testament starts with the four gospels that describe what happened that made it such good news for every human being. And the remaining parts of the New Testament tell us more about what this good news actually means to each and every one of us today. The Bible is far from being just a history book telling about what happened in Biblican times. Most of all, it is a book that tells us what it means for us today that Jesus Christ was crucified 2000 years ago. In the book in the Bible called James, we can read in chapter 4 and verse 6 that God gives grace continually to those people who are humble enough to receive it. The word grace means undeserved favour. You do not have to do good to receive this undeserved favour - because it is given completely undeserved. It is not forced on us. It is available for every human being, but you can only receive it if you want and desire it. It is given through Jesus Christ - and through Jesus Christ only.
My choice was simple. I did not fix the religious expectations that led me to believe that I had to do good to make God love me. Not just did I have to do good, I had to do perfect! I am not perfect, so how could I manage?! Instead, I am receiving the undeserved favour that God gives me continually.
When I have planted myself in our church, it is not to do good to deserve God's love or behave in a certain way to deserve the acceptance of my pastor and the other people in the church. It is not a place I attend to continue the competitive stress that I experience at work and in other parts of our society. No, when I have planted myself in our church, it is because I know that there is nothing I can say or do to make God love me, and there is no special way I have to behave or dress to be accepted by my pastor or the other people in church. My church is a place where I can rest in the knowledge that God loves me and that He looks at me without any condemnation because Jesus Christ took my sins and crucified them on the cross.
It is not what you do, but what you believe that determines your presence and your future.
Ingen kommentarer:
Legg inn en kommentar